Thursday 14 May 2015

Day Four #DBlogWeek- Changes

Diabetes Blog Week


Day Four
Topic- Changes

Today let's talk about changes, in one of two ways.  Either tell us what you'd most like to see change about diabetes, in any way.  This can be management tools, devices, medications, people's perceptions, your own feelings – anything at all that you feel could use changing.  OR reflect back on some changes you or your loved one has seen or been through since being diagnosed with diabetes.  Were they expected or did they surprise you?


Todays topic could not be more suited for exactly what I have on mind today. Not really related to what I would like to see or have seen changed, but this a big change for me. I woke up extra early this morning for 7:00am appointment with Laura my amazing dietitian and diabetes educator. Who makes me feel so confident that I am on the track and I can really see how she cares about her patients... I cant say the same about my endocrinologist but I only see him 4 times a year the most.

Over my last few appointments we have discussed the use of a insulin pump... when I was first diagnosed I was terrified of needles always have been and always will be. I hate getting any kind of vaccination, but know I need to do my insulin needles to live and so had to get over my fear. My needles are not painful, its just annoying that I have to take an extra 5 mins every time I eat and to find a hiding spot to do so. My hiding spot is the bathroom but still why do I feel the need to "hide"... simply because me being me, I need to avoid any questions about my diabetes.

So now to face the biggest fear of all... the pump!

I finally got comfortable doing my 4 needles a day a few years back when they first mentioned the pump to me and I thought to myself yeah right?! I will never walk around with that thing. Sounds pretty shallow but I was truly just fearful for what other would think. I am much more concerned of what other think of me sometime then I should be. I have often felt that my diabetes is a failure because of comments others have made regarding it, most of the time not understanding and really not willing to understand. But I know I didn't do this to myself and its sure not my parents fault and has nothing to do with my diet because I have always eaten healthy.

So today I have decided to make the BIGGEST change of my life to use an insulin pump :)
I am happy with my decision to move forward and try something new. Most diabetics would say it is the best change they have ever made. My first step was filling out the forms today, and I will get my blood work done early next week and then decide which pump will best fit my needs, I have decided I want to use an insulin pump with continuous glucose monitoring. I am a women who is recently married and wanting to start a family in the near future I feel the continuous glucose monitoring will really help me to better understand and treat my diabetes.

Change is good!!

I have a choice between the AnimasVibe insulin pump or Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm Veo insulin pump, any diabetics who have feedback on these pumps, it would be greatly appreciated!!


Paradigm Revel Insulin Pump




                       VS




Lets turn Type ONE into Type NONE

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your decision! I don't know anything about the Animas--has it been integrated with the Dexcom? If so, I would choose it based on that reason alone! I was on a MiniMed pump for a while but currently use the OmniPod. The MiniMed CGM system has been improved since I wore it, but it was always uncomfortable to me and not as reliable as the Dexcom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren, the Animas is integrated with the Dexcom, however the sensor is not included and I would have to pay out of my pocket for it.. where as the sensor with the MiniMed is included. I live in Canada so I think my work benefits would cover an extra costs. From a bit of research it looks like the Dexcom is much better and I think most diabetics that are using a pump would agree with you. Thank you for your feedback.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the pump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelley, fingers crossed it helps me better manage my blood sugars.

      Delete