Thursday 19 May 2016

The Healthcare Experience - Thursday 5/19

Diabetes Blog Week
Topic:

Most people who live with a chronic illness end up with a lot of experience when it comes to dealing with healthcare. How would you improve or change your healthcare experience? What would you like to see happening during medical visits with your healthcare team? How about when dealing with your health insurance companies? What's your Healthcare Wish List or Biggest Frustration? Today is the day to share it all!

I have never been happier with the healthcare team I have created for myself. I have had the same family doctor for just over 10 years and he is by far the best doctor I have ever had. He cares about his patient's, he is knowledgably and doesn't just give out anything. He always reassures to me fight a cold on my own and eat a health diet- he has honestly seen me at my worst and best. He was the doctor that diagnosed with diabetes just over 8 years ago and has kept a close eye on me ever since.

It took me 7 years to figure our what works for me and how to live a happy health life with diabetes and now hashimoto's disease. Since being diagnosed in 2008 I have changed endocrinologist 4 times, and I can honestly say I have never been more happy. I think is the most important part and everyone should take the time to find doctors whom they are comfortable with. I currently see my endocrinologist every 3 weeks and as much of pain it is to take off so much time for appointment when I see him I always leave with a smile. I have seen some bad endo's over my years- for example the doctor I seen when I moved a year a half ago (who works at the same clinic) was horrible!! I had explained to her my situation was not ideal (my A1c at the time was 9.9) and what my goals were (to get my A1c below 7 and possibly start a family) her respond was if you get pregnant I would suggest an abortion???? REALLY??? so needless to say I felt like a horrible person, that someone I am confiding in to help me get my shit together just puts me down. Luckily at the clinic I go to you also see a RD (Registered Dietitian) and CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator). Laura is the RD, CDE and she is AWESOME!! She has also seen me at my worst and best from crying to laughing and has truly never made me feel uncomfortable at any appointment I have had with her regardless of what was going on. When I told her my experience with Dr. Evil, she was able to switch me over to my current doctor who is phenomenally.  He congratulates me every time I see him on how well I am doing and my accomplishments over the year.  If it were not for them I really don't think I would have such a positive attitude regarding pregnancy and diabetes.

Which leads me to my current OB- because I live in a small town we have limited choices, there are no high risk OB's in my area so when I was referred by my endo to my OB I thought prefer she must have seen a few of his patients before. I was wrong about that- but she seem to be very knowledge and has a very positive approach, however the nurse practitioner at her office I awful so I vowed to just book any appointment with the actual doctor and the receptionist was more then will to make sure that happen for me since technically I do have a high risk pregnancy even thought everything has been going fantastically!

I also recently changed my eye doctor and my dentist because I moved and I am completely satisfied with both choices. I had decided to start seeing a chiropractor regularly to help with back pain from a car accident a few years back and no longer suffer from head aches or back pain. It has also been very beneficially during pregnancy as I ma 30 weeks and have been sleeping great at night and really haven't had much pain to complain about other then rib pain which is caused from an expanding uterus and sitting for the majority of the day so I decided to start going for a 30 minute walk on my lunch and seems to help most days. 

Overall I am very happy with my health care team and because I live in Ontario, OHIP covers all my appointments minus the chiropractor, however between my work benefits and my husbands I am covered for mostly all my visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment